Lobster Mac and Cheese Recipe
Down home American comfort food – fresh Maine Lobster and macaroni – combined to create a high-class dish that is bursting with flavor and a winter lobster dish favorite. Follow this recipe to make a glorious Lobster Mac & Cheese Casserole that will have your family and guests swooning.
Lobster and Campanelle Pasta
A favorite here at Lobsterfly, The lobster mac and cheese dish starts with a selection of four of your favorite cheeses, Campanelle pasta and a hard-shell, two pound or larger, live Maine Lobster.
- Begin by poaching the lobster. Add two to three quarts of water and two tablespoons of sea salt to a kettle or large pot. Bring the water to a roiling boil, add the lobster, reduce heat to medium, cover and cook for three to five minutes until the meat is just firm and opaque. Remove the lobster and let drain. Save the water in the pot. Using a chef’s knife, open the tails and claws and remove the lobster meat. Cut into bite size chunks. Save the claw and tail shells. Set the poached lobster meat aside.
- Using the same water and pot, bring water to a boil again and stir in the macaroni. Add lobster claw shells and save the tail shell. Reduce heat to medium and cook the pasta uncovered about six to eight minutes (half the time specified on the box). You want to undercook the pasta otherwise it will be mushy after baking. Drain the pasta in the sink, rinse in cool water and set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- The next step is the sauce. Melt two tablespoons of butter in a sauce pan over low to medium heat. Add in diced onion and cook until onion is translucent, about four minutes. Scoop the onions from the pan and set aside. Add the saved lobster tail shell; add the minced garlic, chopped shallot and light cream (or milk) to the sauce pan. Simmer gently for 20 minutes. Scrape the garlic, onions and shallots from the pan and set aside. Remove and discard the lobster tail shell. Add in three more tablespoons of butter. Stir in the flour and whisk until thickened.
- Stir in all four kinds of shredded cheese to the thickened cream sauce. Heat until the cheeses are melted and smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Add in the macaroni and lobster chunks and toss. Stir in the onions, garlic and shallots.
- Add heated macaroni mixture to a four quart casserole and smooth the cheese across the top. Sprinkle with panko (or buttered) bread crumbs. Bake in oven until the top is golden brown and the sauce is bubbly, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- 1 (1 pound) campanelle pasta or other tubed macaroni
- 1 (2 pound or larger) live Maine lobster, hard shell
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups light cream (or milk)
- 5 tablespoons flour, all-purpose
- 1 pound Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 cup grated Romano cheese
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½-pound soft, cream style (Boursin) cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons panko bread crumbs